THE THEME IS:
“IF I WERE GOVERNOR OF GUAM”
[The call for entries for the first Island-wide Youth Film Competition have expired. Please check back in the coming months for the next call for entries.]
Thank you for your interest in the GIFF/PDN Island-wide Youth Film Competition. You must already be registered to participate. If you have not already registered, you can register for the next call for entries within the coming months.
The story of your film must be based on the theme provided. You may use any genre you wish as long as you apply the theme to your story. The theme was announced at the GIFF Filmmaker’s Orientation at the Guam Museum on January 13, 2018, 10:00am. With cash prizes and the chance to have your work screened at the 2018 Guam International Film Festival, you’ll want to put on your director’s hat and get ready to make your masterpiece! Below are the rules and information on the competition, so give it a good read with your parents or guardians. We look forward to seeing your work! LIGHTS! CAMERA! ACTION!
– The competition is open to students who are currently enrolled in middle or high schools island-wide, including those who are homeschooled.
– Registration deadline is January 13, 2018.
– You may register online at guamfilmfestival.org/iyfc OR email a signed copy of this registration form to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 13, 2018 or hand-deliver a signed copy to the Guam International Film Festival (GIFF) Filmmaker’s Orientation held at the Guam Museum on January 13, 2018, 10:00am.
– The film can be no shorter than one minute and no longer than five minutes.
– The story of the film should convey the theme provided. The theme will be announced at the GIFF Filmmaker’s Orientation at the Guam Museum on January 13, 2018, 10:00am.
– You must not involve a professional in any aspect of the filmmaking process. This includes, but is not limited to, writing, recording, acting, editing, music, etc.
– The film must be family-friendly and without any explicit material.
– All films with dialogue in a language other than English must be subtitled in English for submission and Festival presentation.
– The film must include the title and end credits.
– No copyrighted music or footage without proof of permission from its owner shall be used within the film, otherwise the film will be disqualified.
– The film submission deadline is Friday, March 16, 2018.
The GIFF/PDN Island-wide Youth Film Competition panel of judges will consist of film and media professionals. Entries may also be subject to judging by online public voting. The following cash prizes will be presented to the recipients on March 30, 2018 and are as follows:
1st Place High School – $250 USD | 1st Place Middle School – $250.00 USD
2nd Place High School – $175 USD | 2nd Place Middle School – $175 USD
3rd Place High School – $100 USD | 3rd Place Middle School – $100 USD
(1) Email a YouTube or Vimeo link of the final film to Guam Pacific Daily News at email@example.com or Whatsapp video to: (671) 483-1420
(2) A digital press kit that includes high-resolution digital images of film stills, cast and crew photos (300dpi, suitable for print), cast and crew bios and film synopsis.
(3) You are restricted from posting your film online for public viewing until after the GIFF 2018 Fall festival dates have expired.
(4) We will inform you of our official prize winners by March 30, 2018.
The competition judging components will be GIFF Co-Founder/Executive Director Don Muna, GIFF Head Juror Tom Brislin, Ph.D and online voting.
Completed work will be judged based on the following criteria:
(6) acting (if applicable)
(7) production value
Maximum amount of points awarded per criteria is five. Submitted works will also be judged by the audience in terms of views and likes. 100 views/likes/shares equals one point, up to a maximum of 500 views/likes/shares or five points.
For questions, please contact us at youth @ guamfilmfestival.org